Natural health supplements sometimes have unexpected side effects or interactions with medication that can lead to adverse reactions that are sometimes life threatening. The following is a list of cautions that you should be aware of before using acidophilus (Lactobacillus acidophilus).
Warning 1 - Contraindications: and while using antibiotics.
Warning 2 - Blood thinners: Using acidophilus decreases the action of blood thinners such as Warfarin.
Acidophilus is a beneficial bacterium that produces lactic acid, hydrogen peroxide, and antibiotic-like antimicrobial compounds. Lactobacillus acidophilus is widely used as live supplement. Lactobacillus acidophilus is increasingly used in food and pharmaceutical applications to balance disturbed intestinal microflora and related dysfunction of the human gastrointestinal tract.
Used as a natural health remedy: acidophilus is used internally for the following benefits and conditions:
- Antibody production
- Decrease toxic amines in the blood of dialysis patients (with small bowel bacterial overgrowth)
- Effective against both Salmonella Typhimurium and Campylobacter jejuni
- High cholesterol
- Immune system booster
- Improve bowel regularity
- Improve lipid metabolism
- Improve the immune response to vaccinations
- Inhibit growth of breast cancer cells
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Lactose intolerance
- May decrease the risk of colon cancer
- Phagocytic activity (engulfs and digests debris and invading microorganisms)
- Positive effects on chemotherapy patients.
- Prevent against traveler's diarrhea
- Prevent the growth of harmful bacteria
- Prevent urinary tract infections
- Prevent yeast infections
- Reduce symptoms of fever
- Reduce the risk for coronary heart disease by 6 to 10%
- Urinary tract infections
Side Effects of acidophilus
There are few known side effects unless you are allergic to it. The most common side effects experienced by people who use acidophilus are:
Other side effects may also occur when using acidophilus. (See form below)
- Gas, flatulence
- Stomach discomfort
- Women who use acidophilus vaginally may feel burning or itching.
If you want to use acidophilus for medical reasons, first have a doctor test the level of bacteria in your system and help you decide what amount of acidophilus that would be most beneficial for you.
Return to the Herb List.
For questions and answers about the side effects of herbs see the Herb Forum
If you find this page useful share it with others. Use the form below to add a side effect not listed or comments about acidophilus. Please note that all addresses are held confidential.
Thanks for stopping by.